Day 9 - Talk about Music related to your culture
The first time I heard reggaeton, I thought to myself... really? This is a bad version of reggae.. get me Bob Marley ASAP. The first reggaeton I ever heard was Baby Rasta - Mi Nena. My then boyfriend had me listen to it in dedication. Back in those days I didn't care yet, to attempt to improve my Spanish so I had no idea what it all meant.
I bring up reggaeton because many people that I have conversations with about it, say the same things I said before --- it's a bad version of reggae and it has really perverse lyrics. Frankly, yes, many of the popular songs (thanks Daddy Yankee - Gasolina) of reggaeton are about sex, drugs and alcohol. But one could say that same about reggae and hip hop, can't they? Chris Rock had a bit about how woman would dance to any song with a hot beat at a club because even if the song was about something crude, "they ain't talkin' 'bout me!" This reasoning doesn't make it right. The truth is, no one really cares about the lyrics to a song because people hold themselves to a higher standard than to let some 19 year old rapper effect the way they behave - but when it's spanish...suddenly it's vulgar and inappropriate? I don't buy it.
After a slew of conversations, and realizing I reacted to reggaeton so many years ago in the same manner I now feel offended by, I decided to listen to the song again. Chorus: "Eres mi nena mi nena mi nena, la que yo quiero, y por ti muero,me desespero." Loosely translated: "My girl, my girl, my girl, the one that I love, and for you ... I'd die for. I'm desperate [for your love]"
Not always about sex, drugs and alcohol huh?
But the video is sooooo out dated and goofy he he he he! Gotta love the 90s...
Enjoy~
Z
No comments:
Post a Comment