Day 13 – Afro Latinos you see everyday
*Note: a bit behind on my blogging.... life interrupted this wonderful experiment but hopefully I can get back on track...
Few things funny about this title:
1. Maybe people will be confused with what Afro-Latinos mean... and possibly laugh.
2. Another term I use that can be compared: Blacktino
3. Folks who fit the description of what an Afro Latino is ... may not take nicely to the term or feel it even necessary
What I've learned about Afro Latinos is pretty clear - it is clearly a term of self-identification. I don't think anyone has ever seen it as "cop-out" to not being one of the other, but merely just a recognition that there is more to them that meets the eye. Frankly I think we run into this type of folks everyday and not even realize it. Not all darker skinned Latinos experience the need to prefix the Afro in describing their culture because of a well rounded knowledge of the Spanish Language. Those who do not know that language end up having to identify themselves as Blacktino because they don't want to lose that side of them.
In talking to some proud Black folks, I have noticed a trend of rolling eyes or even snickering at the term Afro Latino - and not even in a malicious way. They just feel it's redundant in its definition or even unnecessary. I have always agreed that people are better in collaboration than division however being Black and being Latino may have its similarities in struggle, culture and history but its unfair to group all of us together in one lump sum.
And is the point of my post. When you think about the term Afro-Latino, it's the in between of 2 sides - one side of completely separating the two culture and forcing you to choose one, and the other side of eliminating the difference all together. Why should it be one or the other? I see them every day struggling to place on this scale they fall into...
- Z
No comments:
Post a Comment