Day 8 - Latino Racism
So I've been up since 6AM, and was at work until 8PM and still working. I'm in a particularly fuzzy mood however racism is a pretty controversial topic, and Latino racism is pretty extensive. It can be racism in the way we look, the way we speak, the way we even walk.
Sometimes when I'm interviewing candidates, I can't help but look at someone's name and see what origin I can pick out. For me, I know that as soon as I walk into that interview room, it's absolutely all about the energy, qualifications and skills. But looking on the flip side... if I apply for a job, will someone judge me on my name? Would I even be asked in?
I've been told that I have a slight accent when I speak. Then they are surprised to learn I don't speak Spanish fluently. For a while, I got offended by this because my first language is English and I didn't like being stereotyped for a skill that I didn't even have! Now, however, I do think there are words that I say that I realize I say in a way that was directly taken from the way my parents say them, or even my Latino teachers growing up. Though I appreciate that I can say certain Spanish words with the right accent, it makes me stress when giving a training or on a client call at work. I wonder if my clients have less confidence in me because of these little hiccups I have in my "accent."
The last thing I will say, is the stereotypes I project to my own people. When I walk home at night, I can't help but walk a little faster if I see a particular person dressed/acting/walking a certain. Oversized jeans, baggy sweater, cap ... talking loudly, hissing and catcalling ... walking with that little limp that makes me want to kick their knee to make the limp real ---- I know that not everyone who acts this way is dangerous. In fact, most of the people I've met who act this way, I realize are doing it for appearances sake to fit in. So where does that leave the rest of the population who can't tell who is just trying to fit in, and who is looking for trouble?
In the same vain, I have gotten particular looks when I walk around holding a Starbucks cup. As if to say because I'm buying "their" drink (read: non latinos... non black.. come on, don't make me say it) ... I'm somehow losing my right to be in my neighborhood.
Racism may never go away, however thinking something based off of first impressions is one think... projecting that on a whole group of people is quite the other.
Sleepy now!
Z
1 comment:
Zulay, I think you raise a lot of interesting points here. Racism of all kinds is definitely colored by classism as well, and the way we talk (even the way we walk, as you point out!) can indicate a certain racial or class background. During my teenage years, my thick southern accent cued people to my class and (lack of) educational background, and as a result I learned to speak "normally" real quick.
It makes me hurt that you sometimes feel stressed when speaking with clients, although we both know that racism is a reality and one that all people of color grapple with in different ways. I wish we lived in a world that acknowledged the strengths and skills of folks who speak two languages or navigate more than one culture. It takes an incredible amount of intelligence, and I wish we could all celebrate that.
Great post, esp since you had such a long day! Clearly I could learn a few things from you. ;)
Post a Comment