Monday, October 04, 2010
Day 18 – Latino Art
Not sure how to approach this one --- not what you would call an art buff but I do like to support Latino artists when I can!
Most Latino art that I'm familiar with come from the architecture and symbols of communication from Tainos and other indigenous peoples from Central and South America.
However, taking a second to talk a bit about art by Latinos - it's interesting to see what people classify as art these days. Paintings? Sculptures? I remember my art class in elementary school quite clear. The attention paid to effort over skill, creativity over memorization - you don't find this much in schools anymore. What my nephew is bringing home is much more drills, repetition and the only art that survived the age of technology (much to my dismay, believe it or not!) is writing.
And trust me.. the art of communication has not been mastered yet by many people, particularly those in power. Perhaps that just my life?
Z
This post is part of the 2010 Latino Heritage Month - 30 Day Blog Challenge
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment