Day 17 – Why I love Latinas (or Latino Men)
This is a dangerous post for me because there are plenty of pro's and con's about Latino men. Whether its my dad, my brother, my best guy friend or one of my lovers/boyfriends - thinking about it, they do have some things in common.
As for the pro's - Latino men depending on how they were brought up can be the most caring about family. I find this as pro even if it does make them overprotective as well, but I can say that the way my dad eyed guys near me, back then was embarrassing, now endearing. Thanks old age. (ha)
In fact I know this is something some females do not appreciate. I was standing in line and a girl behind me was talking to her older lady friend about her boyfriend. Her boyfriend wouldn't drive her somewhere because he wanted to drive his mother and he figured she can take the bus instead. She was so upset at this notion! Her reasons were actually valid - she has paid for the gas, she had paid for the trip in general however her reasoning is what struck me as odd: "I know it's his mother but I am just as, if not more, important than her, how dare he." Later on I saw she was Latina which shocked me considering most of my Latina friends, myself included, would be bending over backward to impress their boyfriend's mom - wouldn't they??
As for con's ... well there are some areas of machismo-ness that I can live without. Though not limited to Latinos, this trait seems to be present in the men in my life. I was talking to my friend who is presently with child, who was joking that her spouse was making inference to having their next round of kids. As she is barely 3 months, she was puzzled! She wasn't even thinking about their next child and then he joked "Next time, I'll do better... I'll give you twins" as if it wasn't masculine enough that they were only having one baby! Even my other friend, while discussing his future children, expressed the hope that he would not have a girl first. After lengthy discussions so I wouldn't slap him across his face, his hope was more than he raised an independent woman and he felt having older brothers would help his daughter have more protections. Its these small thoughts that make me both love and dread Latino men.
Overall though, these are my men and I am more comfortable around them than anyone else. Wouldn't trade them and any future relationships I have for the world! Especially if they can cook...
Ha,
Z

No comments:
Post a Comment